Pages


Sunday, April 11, 2010

RGM79D Gundam

A good mate from the local modeling club recently gave me a couple of Gundam kits, and this one was amongst them.

It was interesting upon opening the box, as he told me this one was already built. I examined the kit and decided to see what I could do with it as far as a paint job was concerned.

I have never build and painted a gundam kit before (although I must admit I have thrown a few together for my 2 boys) so I was keen to see what a good paint job would do for the kit.

It also helped that I was quite partial to the orange and cream colour scheme on this unit.

First up I filled all of the seams with super glue and sanded them flush to a good finish. I then disassembled the kit as much as possilbe for painting.

The concept I had for this kit is I wanted to have paint chipping as though the unit had seen some action. I wanted in essence to paint the gundam like I would an armor subject but have the chipping as would be  applicable to an aircraft.


The first step in the paint process is of course primer, I used floquil grimy black laquer for this. This also allowed me to check the work I had done on the seams. The dark grey would also be good for the internal parts that might end up being visible.

Next up was the visor on the head, I wanted to have a nice shiny reflective surface. Alclad polished aluminum was the choice here, this was applied over a coat of Gloss black enamel ans looked great. I also applied the alclad to the thrusters on the back as well.


The visor was then given a good goat of Tamiya Clear Green by brush. A gerat looking visor resulted.

Until Next time,

Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
eScale Models Link Repository