Pages


Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Alclad and Clear Colours

Well I have finally found some time to post an update. The painting process has started with the metal parts and clear colour effects.
I chose Alclad Polished Aluminium to represent the highly reflective metallic parts on this model. The first step with polished alclad colours is to apply a high gloss black undercoat. Humbrol gloss black enamel is my choice for this as I can always get a very glossy smooth coverage from it.

24 hours drying time is given to the enamel paint to fully cure before the Alclad is added. The Alclad is misted on in very light coats and the result is like watching magic happen. A perfect reflective metal finish.
Again 24 hours is set aside for the paint to dry (Alclad actually drys remarkably quickly as it is a laquer paint).

The clear colours can now be sprayed on. Tamiya clear green, clear red and clear orange were used here. Green for the visor and camera ports on the head, red for the inside of the thrusters and orange for the Apsalus ii weapon?? (is that what it is?).

Again the clear paints were misted on in very thin coats to build up a nice glossy finish. I always thin my Tamiya acrylics with acrylic laquer thinners from my local hardware. I find that this reduces the viscosity of the paint and you can get much better results at lower air pressures.

Till next time,

Cheers,


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
eScale Models Link Repository