Pages


Thursday, October 20, 2011

Painting Part 1 - Primer

This is one of the most important steps of the whole painting exercise. The primer coat will show up any construction faults and this is the last opportunity to put them right.

The bottom of the hull was given a coat of Mr Surfacer 1000 which immediately showed up several seams that needed to be fixed. The seams were treated to some Mr dissolved putty and when dry sanded smooth.

The whole craft was then primed in Floquil primer, this is a model railway laquer based paint that those in North America should know well, its the best primer I have found by far. At this point I must admit that I almost forgot to mask my fibre optic lights, they were given a liberal coat of Humbrol maskol to protect them from the paint.

Again the surfaces were examined for flaws and I am happy to report none were found so the craft will be ready to receive the base coat of paint next.

The model takes on a whole new feel now it is in primer and I am really looking forward to seeing the base colour on it.

More soon,

Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
eScale Models Link Repository