Pages


Saturday, September 10, 2011

White Styrene calls me again Alien 3 BD-409 EEV (Emergency Escape Vehicle)

Well here I am again, embarking on a scratch build of a Sci-fi subject using a set of templates that are derived for paper craft, talk about de-ja-vu!

This time the subject matter is the Model BD-409 EEV (Emergency Escape Vehicle) that appears in the opening sequences of the Alien 3 movie.


I am a massive fan of the Alien movies and when I saw this on a great paper modeling site my mind just started ticking. Take a look at the site for yourself by following this link.

Anyway the model has 30 parts to make so I figured that I should be able to finish this one in a reasonable amount of time.

The first thing I did was print out the paper model templates at several sizes to decide which size to make this. I tried A4 and A3 sizes and decided that the A4 would be the best, this incidentally works out to be about 1:72 scale as well so that was a bonus.

The next thing was to use carbon paper to trace over the first sheet of parts so that the carbon impression is left on the sheet of styrene.


I chose 0.75mm thick styrene sheet for the upper and lower hull and 1mm for the end bulkheads to give some strength. Parts were cut using an Olfa 'P' cutter to scribe the line several times and then bend and snap. To make folds in the styrene sheet the reverse side was lightly scribed and then bent to shape gently.

Anyway there you have it the madness begins again - stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
eScale Models Link Repository