Pages


Friday, September 24, 2010

Engine Bits & Details Part 2

Well I have managed to find something more difficult to make than the secondary engine mounts.....

The structures outboard of the main engines with the lines on them were a REAL pain to make, in the end I had to compimise with them fitting sligltly less than perfectly... Just not enough room for them. However having said that I think that they look the part.


I have also started to add the myriad of piping that is found around the main engines on these things. I am using styrene rod and half rod of varying diameters and simply bending it into shape prior to gluing it into place.


I am also making use of quite a few parts from model car kits in this area, particularly intake manifolds and exhaust headders.


It is very important to constantly test fit the main engines as I go to make sure that none of the detailing fouls their fit.



The level of detailing required in this area is quite daunting, however I find that if you add a basic layer of detail, it then becomes easier to come back over the same area & add another layer of piping etc and pretty soon it is looking suitably busy.


It is also worth noting tat all of the engines are still removeable at this stage (the secondary engines are blutaked to place). These will only be glued into place at the end of detailing work.



Overall the ship is really coming together now, and I'm inspired to get her finished. However one major obstacle remains..... mounting the resin shield generator domes....... not looking forward to that!!

Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
eScale Models Link Repository