Pages


Monday, June 21, 2010

Scratch build Star Destroyer

Well unfortunately the Crusader thank has been put on hold temorarily, even though it is so close to being finished.

This it what has taken my enthusiasm and full attention away from the tank.

I started this a few weeks ago, I got some template for a paper model for a star destroyer off the internet here:

Star destroyer origami

 I printed these plans out sized to fit an A3 sheet of paper, fortuitously this is also the same size as the AMT star destroyer kit. This is usefull because to ease the construction burden I aquired some Arvey models star destroyer bridge and engine nozzles, these are all sized to fit the AMT Star Destroyer kit.



The paper templates were cut out and taped to sheet styrene, the styrene was then cut to shape using an Olfa 'P" cutter (a great tool for scribing styrene and cutting styrene using the scribe and snap method). I used 2mm thick styrene to get nice solid hull parts that would be resistant to warping.


The plating detail on the hull was then transfered onto the styrene by placing a sheet of carbon typing paper between the paper template and the plastic hull part and tracing over all of the linework. (This is where having a drafting background really paid off).

The carbon linework was then scribed into the plastic hull part using an Olfa 'P' cutter. This process took the best part of 2 weeks worth of work.

The resulting panel details on the hull more than justift yhe work that has gone into them I feel.

Please stay tuned for more.

Cheers,

3 comments:

  1. Came across this after seeing your Alien 3 EEV on escale. Would you happen to have the template still for this? The link is now dead. :-( Thanks! Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim,

    I dont have a method to contact you, but if you are on e-scale message me and I will organise.

    Jase.

    ReplyDelete

 
eScale Models Link Repository